Cisco MDS 9506 Highlights
- High availability director: The Cisco MDS 9506 combines non-disruptive software upgrades, stateful process restart/failover, and full redundancy of all major components for a new standard in director-class availability; supports up to 128 1/2-Gbps auto-sensing Fibre Channel ports in a single chassis and up to 768 Fibre Channel ports in a single rack?1.44 Tbps of internal system bandwidth ensures smooth integration of future 10-Gbps modules.
- Compact design: The Cisco MDS 9506 provides high port density in a small footprint, saving valuable data center floor space. The seven rack unit chassis allows up to six MDS 9506 Multilayer Directors in a standard rack, maximizing the number of available Fibre Channel ports. Cable management is facilitated by the single-side position of both interface and power terminations.
- TCO driven design: The Cisco MDS 9506 offers advanced management tools for overall lowest total cost of ownership (TCO). Introduces Virtual SAN (VSAN) technology for hardware-enforced, isolated environments within a single physical fabric for secure sharing of physical infrastructure, further decreasing TCO.
- Multiprotocol/multitransport: The multilayer architecture of the Cisco MDS 9506 enables a consistent feature set over a protocol agnostic switch fabric; seamlessly integrates Fibre Channel, iSCSI, and FCIP in one system. Flexible architecture allows integration of future storage protocols.
- Intelligent network services: The Cisco MDS 9506 introduces VSAN technology, Access Control Lists (ACLs) for hardware-based intelligent frame processing, and advanced traffic management features such as Fibre Channel Congestion Control (FCC) and fabric-wide QoS to enable migration from SAN islands to multilayer storage networks.
- Open platform for intelligent storage services: The Cisco MDS 9506 provides an open platform for hosting intelligent storage services such as network-based virtualization and replication.